Recruitment & Selection Process
CITY OF PALM BEACH GARDENS RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION PROCESS
General Information: The following outline is provided to assist applicants with the recruitment and selection process.
Employment Application: Must be completed online with no missing information; all requested documents must be attached and submitted with the online application. Applications are only accepted when a job announcement is open and posted on the website. Applications will remain active for six months.
•The minimum qualifications must be met to be considered for an interview.
• The Police Department reviews the applications after the closing date of the job announcement and selects candidates for interviews based on the applicant’s qualifications relative to other applicants in the selection pool.
• It can take several weeks after the closing date of the job announcement to fully screen the applications and select candidates for interviews.
• Applicants selected for interview will be notified and scheduled by the Police Department.
• The applications of qualified applicants not initially selected for interview will remain active for the six month period from the date of application, and the applicant may be contacted for an interview during that time if additional positions become available.
• If, based on the review of the application, it is determined that the applicant does not meet the minimum qualifications for the position, the applicant will be notified and will not be considered further.
• This is a panel interview composed of staff from the Police Department and Human Resources Department
• Applicants are asked job-related questions and are evaluated based on their responses to the interview questions.
• The panel will then provide names of the best qualified applicants to the Chief of Police for consideration. The Chief of Police will select the applicant(s) to receive conditional job offers. This step may involve a one-on-one interview with the Chief, at the Chief’s discretion.
• Applicants successfully completing the interview process who do not receive immediate conditional offers of employment may be contacted at a later date if positions become available during the valid period of their application (six months).
• Applicants not selected to continue will be advised that they are no longer being considered for employment.
Conditional Job Offer:
• Shortly after receipt and acceptance of the conditional offer of employment, the Police Department will begin a thorough background investigation.
• A conditional job offer is contingent upon successful completion of a thorough background investigation.
Background Investigation: The background investigation for all applicants includes:
• A polygraph or Computerized Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA) truth verification examination
• Drug screen
• Criminal history check
• Driving record check
• Fingerprint check
• Employment, education, training, military and personal reference checks
• Emergency Communication Operator applicants will also be required to complete a psychological exam.
• Sworn Officer applicants will also be required to complete a psychological exam, medical examination, check credit, and verification of citizenship status and other information provided by the applicant.
• Background investigations may take up to 8 – 10 weeks to complete, depending on the number of applicants being processed at the same time. More time may be required if the investigation requires travel out of the South Florida area.
Psychological Examination: The psychological exam will be arranged by the Police Department for sworn officer and Emergency Communications Operator applicants and conducted by a licensed professional. The examination is designed to screen the applicant for emotional stability, maturity and ability to function
under stressful conditions.
Polygraph/CVSA Truth verification Exam: The following is a list of areas which may be covered when conducting the polygraph/CVSA. Responses will be confidential and maintained in the Police Department.
• Personal / General Information
• Medical / Physical History
• Driving History
• Honesty / Morality
• Employment History
• Drug / Alcohol History
• Criminal History
• Financial History
Medical Examination: This will be scheduled by the Police Department for sworn officer applicants and will be a medical exam by the City’s physician to include:
• Sufficient physical strength, ability and freedom of movement as determined by the City’s medical representative.
• Weight must be in proportion to height as determined by the City’s medical representative.
• Must meet minimum standards for binocular and monocular vision, color vision and hearing.
Final Job Offer:
Applicants successfully completing all phases of the hiring process will receive a final offer of employment.
Re-Application Process: Any applicant not selected for employment may reapply for future job announcements. Note: This explanation of the recruitment and selection process is provided for informational purposes only and is subject to change.