From now through Sunday, September 27th, the Palm Beach Gardens Police Department is joining Operation Lifesaver, Amtrak, and other law enforcement agencies in the nation to educate the public and increase awareness of railroad crossing safety. During this week, the PBGPD Traffic Unit will focus extra attention on railroad crossings in our community.
Here are a few safety tips to remember:
• NEVER drive or walk around lowered crossing gates.
• ALWAYS remember a train can take a mile or more to stop.
• NEVER attempt to outrun an approaching train.
• ALWAYS know that the average train is three feet wider than the track on each side.
• Never begin to drive across the tracks unless you can get all the way across.
• ALWAYS slow down and stop your vehicle prior to train tracks when lights begin to flash.